Saturday, March 10, 2012

Khans Mongolian BBQ


Khan's Mongolian BBQ

237 4th Ave N
NashvilleTN 37219
(615) 726-2340

Rarely have I had a meal in downtown Nashville that I felt the need to write about.   Yesterday I had my first experience with Khan's.  How have I worked downtown for more than 4 years and not known what a great place this is for a good quick vegan lunch? 

I have passed by on occasion and looked through the window at the long lines, but of course it was lunchtime in downtown Nashville.   I avoided that by going early, just after 11,  and there was no line.  Just  a few others that had the same idea as me... BEAT THE CROWDS!!

This being my first visit I wasn't exactly sure how it worked but the girl behind the counter explained it all to me and before long I was "building my bowl".     The bar was well stocked with all kinds of veggie goodness... they even had tofu!!!  You choose a bowl, large or small and fill it with whatever you like.  There was freshly shredded cabbage, bok choy, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, bamboo shoots, snow peas, pineapple, and so many other things too numerous to mention. Of course there are meat choices for the omni crowd, but I didn't really pay attention to what kinds of meat selections were there.   I chose the large bowl just because I wanted to sample so many veggies.  Next time I will do the small bowl because that was a lot of food!!!

You even add your own seasonings, sauces, and oils to your liking, so you can be assured of a tasty dish.  All this is right there on the bar, and there are even recipe suggestions taped to the sneeze guard.  Pile everything you want in the bowl, take it to the counter and the chef will saute it for you.  

I took my smorgasbord of goodies to the counter and was asked what I wanted it sauteed with:  Noodles or rice.  I said that I wanted rice and the next question was "white or brown?".  Wow! a place downtown that has brown rice!  Now I am really impressed!!  I paid for my meal while the chef was sauteing.  The total came to only 6 dollars and change including tax.  They take 2.00 off if you get only veggies.

I was given a number and was told that my lunch would be ready shortly.   I picked up my freshly made lunch and headed back to the office.  When I walked in the office I was met with "Ohhhh, that smells so good! What is it?   It was good, the veggies were still nice and crunchy. The seasonings were just right.  The brown rice was perfectly cooked.   I was well satisfied.  

It was one of the best lunches I have had downtown, and I will be going back.  For those of you looking for options in downtown Nashville, check out Khan's if you haven't already.  You won't be disappointed

Sorry I don't have photos.  I took one with my cell phone but it didn't do the dish justice.  I promise to get a good photo on my next trip.





No comments: