Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Vita-mix

The Vita-mix arrived a couple weeks ago.  I had put off buying one, and why I don't know.   How I ever got by without it is a mystery.  I have not failed to make up for lost time, however.  I have made soup, smoothies, peanut butter, hummus, ice cream and who knows what else in my Vita-mix. I think I have used it every day since I got it.   My latest endeavor was oat flour.  This was just a trial to see how it would work, but I am sold.  I started with a cup of steel cut oats and in seconds I had soft fresh oat flour (photo above).  This morning I tried it out and made some gluten free pancakes.  Granted I was skeptical, because a lot of the gluten free things I have tried are lacking in flavor.  Not these pancakes.  I started with a quarter cup of oat flour and added in two tablespoons each of sweet potato flour and tapioca flour; 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder, almond milk to make a nice batter, and a Tbs agave nectar for a slight sweetness.  They cooked up very nicely and I served them with fresh blueberries and maple syrup,  They were yummy!

No comments: